A new type of school
IMS Private School is a secondary school offering an upper high school 3-year programme with no educational precedent, under the official recognition of the Ministry of Education and Culture, which has endorsed it as a secondary school under its authority.
You are welcome to experience advancements in educational methodology through IMS Private School, which offers a morning curriculum for students with strong motivation for progression to university studies. IMS educators have been working towards a new type of school for many years. Tapping into their experience, they shaped a school geared for university preparation, redesigning, innovating and taking a totally fresh approach that veers far away from the dated methods still widely in use. They have restructured the GCSE and A level subject syllabi to a new kind of learning intended to inspire and motivate.
IMS’s novel day school programme, offers complete freedom in subject choice and is based on aptitude, so that a student’s abilities are not thwarted by age restrictions. On completion of this programme students of IMS find themselves possessing a strong educational background of at least seven GCSE and four A Level awards. Unique features of this programme are:
- Duration of three years, devoting one year to GCSE and two to A Level.
- Free choice of subjects allowing students to select any subject combination.
- Class size ranging from 12 down to 1 student with an average of 6, enabling the teacher to closely follow each individual student’s progress.
- Focusing on the talents of students individually, so as to make full use of their abilities and secure the best university education they can get.
- Providing valuable guidance to students on their subject choices and career options.
- Close collaboration with the IMS Research and Development Centre to involve IMS students in educational exchanges and research, thus providing valuable experience for their future professional development.
- Expert teachers specialising in teaching GCSE and A Level maximise productivity during the lesson.
- A fresh teaching style focusing on critical thinking and on the essence of concepts and not the rote acquisition of knowledge.
- Carefully selecting students aiming at quality university education and treating them like adults.
- Excellent communication between teachers, students and parents.
- A convenient daily schedule starting at 9:00 and ending at 2:30, with 60 minute periods.
- Use of the latest educational technology.
Approval by the Ministry of Education and Worldwide approval of the IMS Apolyterion and IMS Diploma
On graduation our students will be awarded the IMS Apolyterion and, upon release of the A Level results, the IMS Diploma.
The IMS Apolyterion is a school leaving certificate recording the student’s school performance in the student’s final year and is of different type but of equal recognition as the Apolytirio of Lykeio.
The IMS Diploma is a superior qualification recording the performance of the student in 5 components (four A Level awards and Apolyterion). Its grading scale is S (Outstanding), 1 (Excellent), 2.1 (Very good), 2.2 (Good), 3 (Satisfactory). The IMS Diploma is a very strong qualification for admission in one of the leading universities of the world.
Approval by Examination Boards and UCAS
IMS is acknowledged by the UK Examination Boards Edexcel, AQA, Cambridge Assessment and LCCI as an accredited Examination Centre (Teaching Institution) and thus offers all associated privileges and benefits to students.
IMS is also an approved UCAS centre holding a unique record in numbers of students studying at the top ranking universities of the UK. Key factors are the solid academic background of applicants, their extensive preparation for additional entrance tests, training for the interviews required for certain subjects and by some universities and strong support to students with their UCAS application.
A student may enter year 1 of IMS Private School after being assessed in an entrance test, an interview and in consideration of the student’s previous school performance. For entry into year 2 and year 3 the student’s performance at GCSE and AS Level, respectively, will be an additional criterion.
The entrance test is individually arranged at a convenient time for each student, upon request. It is also suggested to applicants that they attend the lessons for one day and have a tour with their guardians around the school premises, receiving guidance and information by the school staff.
Infrastructure and Facilities
The school building comprises 13 classrooms, a conference hall for 150 persons, a computer lab, a science lab and a cafeteria. It is centrally air-conditioned with electrical external blinds and double glazed windows.
The conference hall has high technology infrastructure featuring a writing tablet and projector screen, central sound system and climatic control. It has direct access to a roof garden with a panoramic view of Limassol.
The computer lab is equipped with 16 desktop computers for use by students and another one for the teacher, connected to an interactive board. Latest software is installed on each of them, enabling the user to have access to unlimited sources.
The science laboratory is fully equipped with all the necessary scientific devices, instruments and chemicals needed for basic and advanced experiments in Physics, Chemistry and Biology. The lab space includes specially designed laboratory work benches suitable for the simultaneous conduct of 14 independent experiments. Each working space is equipped with an independent LPG supply line, a tap with sink and adequate electricity sockets. Moreover, the lab space includes a storage room and is equipped with smoke and gas detectors, an interactive board and raised floor (according to international standards).
IMS Research and Development Centre
In 2015, IMS Private School established the IMS Research & Development Centre, a non-profit Organisation focusing on scientific and innovation excellence.
In close interaction and synergy with IMS Private School, the IMS Research & Development Centre connects the transfer of knowledge and expertise with innovation and invests in the dynamic development of human resources. Its main task is to develop research activity and prepare the school for participating in and submitting research proposals.
During the first year of its operation, in collaboration with IMS research experts, IMS R&D has participated in many proposals under Erasmus+, Horizon2020, the Interreg Med Cooperation programme 2014-2020 and the Interreg Balkan Mediterranean programme, mainly addressing societal and environmental issues as well as scientific excellence in education. Such is the “Motivation + Talent² = Success” Erasmus+ project whose kick-start meeting has successfully taken place in Kortrijk, Belgium, in October 2016. IMS teachers had the chance to interact with Belgian students and communicate their views on Europe’s Future Class. The target is what IMS Private School has set as its main pursuit, to INCREASE MOTIVATION AND PROMOTE TALENT.
Every student will be taught and guided according to personal needs in a tailor-made programme targeted at the student’s university aspirations. In this context we have no compulsory subject combinations, allowing absolute freedom of choice. An indicative list of subjects is given below subject to amendments, depending on demand.
- Accounting (GCSE and A Level)
- Art (GCSE and A Level)
- Biology (GCSE and A Level)
- Business Studies (A Level)
- Chemistry (GCSE and A Level)
- Classical Civilisation (A Level)
- Computing (GCSE and A Level)
- Economics (GCSE and A Level)
- English Language (GCSE)
- English Literature (GCSE and A Level)
- French (GCSE and A Level)
- Further Mathematics (A Level)
- German (GCSE and A Level)
- Greek (GCSE and A Level)
- History (GCSE and A Level)
- Mathematics (GCSE and A Level)
- Music (GCSE and A Level)
- Physical Education (GCSE and A Level)
- Physics (GCSE and A Level)
- Psychology (GCSE and A Level)
- Pure Mathematics (A Level)
- Russian (GCSE and A Level)
- Statistics (A Level)
- Εξέταση πιστοποίησης πολύ καλής γνώσης της Ελληνικής Γλώσσας
IMS Private School (Cyprus) introduced a number of methods to increase students’ motivation. Therefore, the IMS Private School method focuses on the guided free selection of subjects for each student in the framework of their desired career development. This offers students the chance to act in a definitive way in the educational pathways that fulfill their skills and their ambitions and form the parameters for their most advanced participation in creative processes. By giving students the freedom in suggesting the route of their educational career, we innovate in the development of an educational process. + IMS also disposes with external experts from the area of sociology and psychology, who can work with teachers and students to identify the problems and possible factors which worsen the problem.